Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fleece hat with ear flaps

 My Son asked me to make him a new hat.  His old one was made on the fly and was too shallow for his head and he was complaining that is not keeping his neck/head warm......so here we go!
 You can see the 1st hat I made.....I liked the look of the contrasting colors so I made it the same way with a few tweaks.  You will need 1/2 yard of fleece......scraps are fine but they need to be wide enough.  you will not use the whole 1/2 yard.  You could make 2.  You will also need: paper, pencil, tape measure, pins, thread & sewing machine.  (might also need tape)
 1st you need to measure around the head you want the hat for...add 1 inch and divide by 2.  this is how long the top of this paper needs to be....tape extra paper if needed.  and free hand this pattern.  flap needs to be 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide and if you want to make it for under the chin with Velcro, you need to make the flap as long as from the middle ear to the other side of the chin.
 Cut 2 of blue.
 Cut 2 of orange and a rectangle for the top....needs to be as wide as the ear flap and as tall as you would like.  for this I used an 8x11 paper.



 if you want tassels, you will need to add them now.  :)  you can sew them all over the hat.  this time I did just the corners.



 pin together like this.
 sew along the flap edge all the way around....do not sew the straight edge yet.


 pin blue edge to hat edge making sure that the wrong sides are out.
 push yellow ear flap edge into the hat and pin over blue/orange seam.  this will allow you to sew it together and then trim extra fleece.
 see how it is pinned.  this keeps the fleece layer inside in place.  should have sewn it the other way but I didn't have enough blue thread for the bobbin.
 My baby girl trying it out for me.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment